Department of Public Safety
The College Department of Public Safety consists of three divisions: Police, Security,
and Emergency Management. Together they maintain a safe and secure environment in
which to learn, reside, and relax while at our locations. Public Safety works closely
with each Chief Student Services Officer on disciplinary matters.
The Department of Public Safety operates 24 hours a day at Goodman and when the college
is open at the other locations.The College District Police consists of certified police
officers and campus security officers charged with protecting life, property and the
general safety of the College.
College Police Officers are empowered as constables under state law and thus have
full law enforcement powers like municipal, county or other state officers. While
campus security officers are not certified, they may enforce rules and regulations
of the college and work under the direction of a certified officer.
Standards of Conduct
- The use of tobacco and electronic cigarettes is not permitted on campus, other than
inside a personal vehicle. Mississippi law regulates tobacco use on state property.
Violators will be fined.
- Please do not litter; including cigarettes, cigars, and gum wrappers. Place litter
in the appropriate containers.
- Maximum speed on campus is 15 MPH and is enforced by radar on and around campus. Due to the high volume of pedestrian
traffic, all traffic violations are strictly enforced.
- Turn radios down upon entering campus. No loud exhausts are allowed. Excessive noise
will be cited.
- No parking in handicap parking, unless you are handicapped. If you use someone else's
handicap placard, you will be fined. These vehicles must be registered with the DSS
Coordinator. A special placard will be issued to park on campus.
- No parking in faculty/staff zones or other restricted zones at any time of the day
- No sitting or loitering on stairwells is permitted.
- All vehicles parked on the campus by a student will be required to have a decal. Please
make sure your parking decal is affixed to the left side of the rear windshield.
- No firearms and/or weapons are allowed on campus. This includes your vehicle. Bringing
a firearm on campus is a felony and will be prosecuted in addition to being administratively
withdrawn from the college.
- Vulgar, threatening, or abusive language; disorderly conduct, or fighting will not
be tolerated. Persons committing an assault will be criminally charged and be administratively
withdrawn from the college.
- Students must have their Holmes Student I.D. on their person at all times. Any faculty
or police officer may ask for it at any time. Failure to comply will result in a fine.
- Holmes District Police have the right to search any person, property, or vehicle while
on campus without a warrant and upon reasonable suspicion. The police will enforce
all State and campus regulations to include areas and roadways around the campus.
- The police are here to keep the campus safe and conducive to learning. You may contact
us anytime you have a problem.
- Vehicles must be parked facing the exit of one-way lanes to avoid exiting the wrong
way and potentially causing accidents.