Request Info Enroll Now

Federal Grants

Grants are “gift aid” made available to students based on financial need. This type of aid does not have to be repaid. In order to apply for a grant all students must complete theĀ FAFSA, which is used to determine need.

Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is a federal program which makes funds available to eligible undergraduate students attending an approved post-secondary institution. Application is made through theĀ FAFSA. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully. Within three weeks of submitting the form, you should receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), which tells you whether or not you are eligible. Sometimes the report will need corrections. The Pell Grant is an entitlement grant, provided you are enrolled in a degree or certificate seeking program. The amount of the award will be based on your determination of eligibility, enrollment status, and the cost of attendance. Half-time students may be eligible for the Pell.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This program is for the student who shows great need. Unlike Pell Grant, however, SEOGs are not entitlements. Schools have a set amount of funds for SEOGs and can award no more after those funds are used up. Only undergraduate students are eligible to apply, and in general they must be enrolled at least half-time in an educational institution participating in the program. Also, students must be eligible for the Pell Grant in order to receive SEOG funds. A school may choose to use up to 10% of its SEOG funds for less than half-time students. At Holmes Community College it is our policy to use this fund only on full-time/part-time students with 6 hours or more. The financial aid administrator determines the student’s financial need and will award the student an SEOG in accordance with that need. An SEOG award cannot be less than $200 an academic year. SEOG funds are awarded on a first-come-first-serve basis based on completed files of the students with the greatest needs.