Surgical Technology Admission Policy
The Holmes Community College surgical technology program accepts one class each year in the fall semester on a competitive, selective basis.
The applicant must meet the same general admission requirements as those required for all applicants to Holmes Community College. Prior to actually applying for the Surgical Technology program, a student must meet the following admission requirements:
- Submit a completed application for admission to Holmes Community College.
- Be at least 18 years of age at time of program start date.
- Have official verification of a minimum composite score of 12 on the ACT if taken before October 28, 1989, or a minimum composite score of 16 on the ACT if taken after October 28, 1989, with a minimum of 12 on subscores for both math and reading. ACT scores must be on file with the Office of Admissions & Records at Holmes Community College.
Once the student meets the above requirements, he/she should follow the instructions on the web for accessing and completing the Surgical Technology application. Requirements for applying to the Surgical Technology program that must be met by the posted deadline are the following:
- Complete the Surgical Technology application
- Provide official documentation of a high school diploma or a GED certificate to the Holmes Office of Admissions & Records.
- Provide official transcripts from all schools and/or colleges attended to the Holmes Office of Admissions & Records. Applicants with any college credit must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 to be considered for the program.
When the deadline for Surgical Technology applications closes, an admissions committee will review test scores and records for all eligible applicants and screen the applicants utilizing a standardized evaluation form.
After notification of acceptance, the student will be required to provide documentation of the following prior to the start of the program:
- passage of physical examination per Health Examination Report (form to be provided by instructor)*
- current certification of CPR Healthcare Provider C*
- passage of a healthcare criminal background check*
- passage of drug screening*
- current and complete immunization record*
*Students will be responsible for fees or costs associated with these requirements. Information concerning these requirements will be provided after class selection and/or during the mandatory orientation session.
Contact the Career Technical Office at Ridgeland (601) 605-3386 or Grenada (662) 227-2350 with any questions. Applications are available online.
The Surgical Technology Department provides surgical technologists to meet the needs of hospitals and other health facilities in the nine-county district of Holmes Community College as well as surrounding counties. The program provides education in the applied roles of all aspects of surgical technology so graduates are prepared to serve as a member of the surgical team to assist in delivering patient care and to assume appropriate responsibilities before, during and after surgery.