EMS Admission Requirements
1. Must meet HCC admissions requirements.
2. Must be at least 18 years old or be a Dual Enrollment student. **
3. Must be able to read and write.
4. Must be a high school graduate or GED equivalent or be a Dural Enrollment student.
5. Must have an ACT composite score of 16 or higher (12 or higher if taken before October 28, 1989) or the minimum English placement score to place into ENG 1113 – English Composition I and the minimum Algebra placement score to place into MAT 1233 – Intermediate Algebra.
6. Must hold a valid American Heart Association (AHA) BLS certification (students can become certified during the course).
7. Must be physically fit per a physical exam performed by a physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant.
8. Must begin hepatitis B vaccination prior to practicum portion of the class.
** MUST BE 18 YEARS OF AGE TO TAKE NATIONAL REGISTRY EXAM.
Emergency Medical Sciences
Advanced EMT and Paramedic Program
1. Must meet HCC admissions requirements
2. Must have a current National Registry EMT certification in good standing.
3. Must have a current Mississippi EMT certification or be eligible to obtain a Mississippi EMT certification.
4. Must provide past academic records for review.
5. Paramedic program applicants must have completed 4 of the required 8 semester hours of Anatomy and Physiology with lab from an accredited post-secondary school with a grade of C or better (A&P I & II BIO 2514 or BIO 2513 and BIO 2511 or equivalent) prior to enrollment; A & P II is in the curriculum for any students who have completed only A & P I prior to enrollment; A & P I & II must each be completed with a grade of C or better.
6. Must successfully pass a Criminal Background Check as required by Mississippi State Law. (Students will be responsible for the fee for the background check)
*Emergency Medical Sciences
Critical Care Paramedic Program
- Must meet college admission requirements
- Must have current Nationally Registered Paramedic.
- Must be a current Mississippi-certified Paramedic in good standing prior to clinical*.
- Must present proof of three years’ experience as a Nationally Registered Paramedic**.
- Must provide copies of official transcripts to the Holmes CC admissions office.
- Must successfully pass a Criminal Background Check as required by Mississippi State Law and a drug screen. (Students will be responsible for the fee for the background check, which will be paid to the agency conducting the check. Holmes CC will not handle the fee for the background check. Students will also be responsible for the fee for the drug screen.)
*Subject to Mississippi EMS: The Law, Rules, and Regulations.
**Other MS-licensed healthcare professionals, such as Physicians, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Registered Nurses or Respiratory Therapists with a minimum of three years’ experience may, at the program director’s discretion, take the courses to improve their understanding of critical care medicine if they meet the college’s entrance requirements, provide official copies of transcripts, are in good standing at the time of clinical, and pass a drug screen and criminal background check. These participants, however, are not eligible for licensure as a Critical Care Paramedic in the State of Mississippi or to receive the Critical Care Paramedic AAS.