Online classes can be daunting, but there are steps that can be taken to ease the stress. One such step is ensuring that you meet the minimum computer and technology requirements for a hassle free eLearning experience. Please see our list of minimum requirements below.
Minimum Computer and Technology Requirements
- 2 GHz Processor (Dual Core)
- 2 GB RAM
- 100 GB Storage Space
- Operating System:
- Windows: Windows 7 or higher
- Mac: 10.11 or higher
- Broadband or Cable Internet with minimum 2 MBps download and 2 MBps upload
- Webcam and Microphone
- Browser (click here for Canvas officially supported browsers)
- Chrome (preferred) 80 or 81
- Firefox 74 or 75
- Edge 80 or 81
- Safari 12 or 13
- Browser Settings
- Pop-Up Blocker Disabled
- Java Enabled
- Cookies Enabled
Communication Standards and Requirements
- Students must use their Holmes email account to communicate with their online instructors and Holmes personnel.
- Students must be able to attach a document to an email, and able to receive an email with an attachment and know how to open it.
- Some courses will require the use of the video conferencing application Zoom. Students should download the program and familiarize themselves with it.
- If your course requires Zoom, an account will be created for you. There is no need to setup an account until prompted by your instructor.
Course Specific Requirements
Some courses may have additional hardware and software requirements. Students are encouraged to check the Important Course Information module in their course to determine if there are any additional requirements. Proctoring Requirements
Students may be proctored at any Mississippi Virtual Community College (MSVCC) for free. Proctoring is conducted inside a lab, where all necessary hardware and software is furnished. Scheduling an appointment is available through the SmarterProctoring service located in all online courses.
Online virtual proctoring is an on-demand proctoring service offered to students for flexibility and convenience. These services charge a fee that must be covered by the student. Please check the following resources for a detailed list of online proctoring requirements.
- Desktop computer or laptop (tablets, Chromebook and cellphones do not meet our requirements).
- A working built-in or external webcam and microphone.
- Internet speed must be at least 2 Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload. Hot spots are not recommended.
- Browser with pop-up blocker disabled
- Webcam (640 x 480 resolution)
- Windows Vista
- Mac OS X 10.5 or higher
- .768 MBps Internet Download Speed
- .384 MBps Internet Upload Speed
- 1024 MB RAM